Friday, September 4, 2015

Lose Your Mind and Come to Your Senses

What does this mean and how does this apply to sports?  The psychologist, Fritz Perls, used this phrase as a way to get his patients to live in the present.  It's application to sport- I think it's intuitive - the rational mechanisms of the brain do not have enough time to react to, say, a 98 mph fastball, or a tennis serve at 140mph, so, we rely on... what Yoda calls, the force.  Remember when Obi Won Kenobi's voice says to Luke, 'Trust your feelings".  The Jedi metaphor has a lot of wisdom.  This sentiment is said a lot of different ways.   In the words of Andre Agassi, "Freed from the thoughts of winning, I instantly play better.  I stop thinking, start feeling.  My shots become a half-second quicker, my decisions become the product of instinct rather than logic."  

No comments:

Post a Comment